Friday, June 18, 2010

See that Piece of Straw? That's My Hair. (When Not to Get a Perm)

When Not to Get a Perm: When Your Hair is Dyed. Highlighted. Harassed.

She told me not to get a perm. In fact she said "Don't get a perm." So don't blame my beautician. She warned me. Saying things like "Damaged hair." "Overprocessing." "No perm for you." But finally I talked her into doing a nano perm at the crown of my much treated, dyed hair because my thick heavy tresses were flat as a pancake on top and wavy and full on the sides giving me a square coiffure. (Think Dilbert's colleague.) Of course when Carley worked on it, it wasn't square. It was sleek and swingy and shiny and beautiful. Until that first iota of humidity hit. Then once again I became Sponge Linda Square Head.

When Not to Get a Perm, and Why I Don't Care

Carley is my wonderful hairdresser at the trendy HairThat Rocks in Broad Ripple, the very trendy area in Indianapolis that is chockfull of trendy nightlife, boutiques and salons. Carley told me that a permanent wave combined with my dyed and highlighted hair would cause serious hair damage, especially since I am oil-challenged with dry hair and skin. But I only want a perm at the top, I whined. Just a little perm. So she caved.

My Perm Gave Me Height

Am I a genius or what? My perm gave me height and manageability. Height that stayed all day after a shampoo, after a workout, after sleep. No bed head. Height. Carley agreed that the texture and volume did a lot for the hair's styling potential. But she was right about the hair damage. After a couple of shampoos without all the wonderful products they use at the salon, I had broken ends and a straw patch in that one place where the highlighted hair was. Wouldn't curl, wouldn't condition. . . .You know you want to read more, so click already.



No comments:

Post a Comment